Specialist Retina Eye Care on Harley Street
Specialist Retina Eye Practice
Service directed and delivered by Prof. Stanga, who has worked at the forefront of modern eye care for over 30 years, now offering a uniquely private clinic choice utilising the latest technology, procedures, and a 5-star patient service on Harley Street, London.
Why come to us?
- Retinal diagnosis and treatment using the latest world-class technologies and techniques
- Specialist experienced Retinal surgeon who is a pioneer in his field
- Rigorous attention to detail: Consultant led and delivered continuity of care
- World class patient care: a handpicked team committed to delivering the highest possible standard of care
- Research-based clinic: involved in continuous development of new and advanced technologies and procedures.
- Instrumental in Artificial Vision (Bionic Eye), Retinal Imaging/Diagnosis, Retinal Gene Therapy and the Prevention of Blindness in and Treatment of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Medical and Surgical Retina, Cataract Surgery and its Complications
- Cataract and Lens extraction surgery: Phacoemulsification surgery with implant of Intraocular Lens
- Complications of Cataract surgery
- Laser Capsulotomy: Ellex® YAG LASER
- Intermediate AMD: Valeda® PhotoBiomodulation
- Wet AMD: Intravitreal Injections (anti-VEGF; Avastin®, Lucentis®, Eylea®, Brolucizumab®)
- Dry AMD: Anti-Comp0letment Intravitreal Injections and Gene Therapy Surgery Clinical Trials
- Diabetic Retinopathy and Maculopathy: Intravitreal Injections (anti-VEGF; Avastin®, Lucentis®, Eylea®, Brolucizumab® or Steroid: Triamcinolone®, Ozurdex®), LASER (PASCAL® laser) or Vitrectomy surgery
- Retinal Vein Occlusion: laser (PASCAL® LASER) and /or intravitreal injections
- Retinal Tears: Cantcat Lnes and Indirect PASCAL® LASER Retinopexy
- Retinal Detachment: Pars Plana Vitrectomy surgery
- Macular Hole Pars Plana Vitrectomy surgery with only overnight positioning
- Epiretinal Membranes (Macular Pucker): Pars Plana Vitrectomy surgery
- Vitreous Floaters: Ellex® YAG Laser Vitreolysis and “Limited” Pars Plana Vitrectomy surgery
Prof. Stanga is a Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreoretinal Surgeon who specialises in Medical & Surgical Retina, Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy, Vitreous Floaters, Cataracts, Retinal Laser, R&D New Therapies, Surgical Technology, Advanced Imaging & Clinical Studies.Clinical, Surgical and R&D activities: The Retina Clinic London and the London Vision Clinic.
He is currently the Director and Proprietor of The Retina Clinic London (140 Harley Street), and Retina Lead for The London Vision Clinic(138 Harley Street). Alongside he is an active Researcher and Investigator and Professor of Ophthalmology at Institute of Ophthalmology UCL (University College London).
Experience: over 30 years in Ophthalmology and former years in the NHS.
Left the NHS & University of Manchester in 2019.
Actively publishes in peer-reviewed scientific journals: H-Index 37. ORCID iD: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3338-2055
Several international accolades, amongst others; prestigious Achievement Award/American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
Prof. Stanga is a Developer and Early Adopter of new technologies and therapies.
Good Clinical Practice: Certified. Experimental Animal Lab Surgery: Licensed.
Since 1993: Development/application of new outpatient & surgical therapies & technologies. Principal Investigator (PI) on industry-sponsored trials & Scientific Advisor to commercial companies developing pharmacological/surgical therapies, diagnostic/therapeutic equipment.
Notable achievements: Introduced Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) into clinical setting (UK, 1998), Pascal® Laser (EU, 2006), pioneered Optos® Ultra-Wide-Field Imaging (Intl., 2006) & introduced Swept-Source OCT (EU, 2012) as well as Wide-Field OCT (Intl. 2019).
Developed new Hypersonic Vitrectomy technology for Bausch and Lomb Health from lab bench (2012) to FDA 510(k) clearance, First-in-Human (2017) and EU introduction (2018). Set-up, PI and Surgeon for a the First-in-Human Study of Artificial Vision and the Argus II in Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) (EJO, 2021) and successfully implanted first-ever electronic retinal implants in AMD as part of a Clinical Study. Pivotal role for NHS England to fund & evaluate Argus II in Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) & its 1st use of Artificial (2016). Performed first Argus II implantations in RP in several countries and set up artificial vision programs with which he continues to collaborate, i.e. Russia.
Former UK CI and local Principal Investigator (PI) and Surgeon in a Gene Therapy Study in RP (RPGR) (Nature Medicine, 2020).
Performed First-Ever Gene Therapy surgery in the UK Independent Sector (Clinical Study) in Geographic Atrophy in Dry AMD (2020).
Current Clinical Studies Recruiting Patients:
-Gene Therapy Surgery and Anti-Complement lntravitreal lnjections in Advanced Dry AMD with Geographic Atrophy
-YAG Laser Vitreolysis and Surgical Management of Vitreous Floaters and Vision Degrading Myodesopsia
-Advanced Imaging of Vitreous Floaters and the Cortical Vitreous
-Imaging of the Peripheral Retina and Vitreoretinal Interface
-Ultra-Wide Field Multi-Wavelength Imaging